You can download SAdr BETA 0.6 32 bit
(Windows XP/SP3, Vista or 7) here (SetupSAdr_0_6.exe 183,397 bytes 2012-02-12).
SAdr was written in VB.Net and compiled for the .Net framework 2.0 (part of Windows since WinXP SP2).
A new version with additional functions will be available before June 2013. Some of the new functions are: find duplicate entries, read CSV-files, duplicate entry (useful for family members).
Why yet another address management application?
There are dozens of address management systems, some of them even free
and still with more functionality than SAdr.
The main reasons to write this application were:
1) Ok, the .mdb format is not as open as e.g. xml but it's not likely that MS Access
will disapear in the next years.
- I don't want to maintain my data in some proprietary format1) or to share
it with Google or another web based system
- This application is just a test project. It was used to try out different
database interfaces and data handling classes/functions available in .NET
The application is intended for private use and best suited for people familiar
with Microsoft® Access. Access was chosen as preferred format because it's
so trivial to work with.
This is a BETA version! There is absolutely no warranty at all, that this
program will run as intended.
- The DB includes all fields commonly found in address books like those from
Thunderbird, WAB (Windows Address Book or .contact), Android (Smartphone) contacts
- Export to vCard (.vcf), CSV or XML-file
- Zoom window with all phone numbers (so you can read them without glasses ;-))
- Scale and crop image to be included as contact thumbnail (with rotate and flip functions)
- Import of vCard (single or multiple entries) with detailed field sync
- Automatic detection of codepage also when using 'quoted-printable' encoding (so that Schülter
is diplayed instead of SchÃ¼lter or Schlter, René instead RenÃ© and Conceição
Although SAdr writes almost all fields to the vCard (including PHOTO, SORT-STRING,
BDAY, CATEGORIES, REV and UID) it's not possible to use it at the moment to synchronize
address books. Unfortunately every system I saw so far has some pitfalls:
- Android (Version 2.3.5)
- The UID tag is ignored. Importing the very same vCard twice results in a duplicate
entry in Androids contact list.
The CATEGORIES tag is ignored so that group membership is lost.
- Thunderbird (Version 9.0.1)
- The HOME address is completely ignored (this bug is present in Thunderbird
for many years).
The photo is ignored as well as messenger and group (categories).
- Windows 7 (.contact)
- As before UID, CATEGORIES and PHOTO are ignored.
There is no field for messenger.
SAdr was tested with vCards from:
- Windows Address Book
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Open exchange
During the import to SAdr, a field comparison and check is possible
providing this way a "sync" function. (Maybe I'll write an Android App as well, to
provide a true synchronize function.
At the first start you must select a database. The default location for the
SampleAdr.mdb is "My documents".
To zoom phone numbers from a contact, right-click on the contact list in the main window; to
... more help coming soon ...